Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Understanding empowerment

The things Jesus did were meant to provide insight into how God the Father viewed His creation. Jesus would say “I and the Father are one”, - (Jn. 10:30) and, "By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me", - (Jn. 5:30). We further learn that the Holy Spirit empowered Jesus (first verses of Isa. 11; 42; 61). Whether by calming the storm, healing the sick, giving sight to the blind or raising the dead, or casting out demons, Jesus displayed the sensitivities of God the Father. Jesus said, “If I drive out demons by the finger of God, then the kingdom of God has come upon you” - (Luke 11:20). He’s not like other miracle workers who do amazing things and then life proceeds as it always has. No -- to Jesus, his miracles were a sign indicating the coming of the kingdom of God. They were a foretaste of what the kingdom was going to be like. And this sets Jesus apart from others, a practice his apostles continued after His resurrection. One person has said, "Jesus saw his miracles as bringing about something unprecedented--the coming of God’s dominion. He didn't merely see himself as a worker of miracles; he saw himself as the one in whom and through whom the promises of God come to pass. That’s a not-too-thinly-veiled claim of transcendence." The empowering presence that enabled Jesus lives within each Christian now. The Holy Spirit will empower us to do Jesus' will as we move along our unique independent spiritual journey. We just need to understand what He wants at any given time. This understanding will begin as we reach out to other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment