Sunday, October 6, 2019

Hear

Some passages of scripture team with references a person from the original culture would immediately understand. In the passage today, there are several: First, around this time, a locked door indicated some level of protection from what was without, and opening the door meant trust of the person who is to come inside. More than this, when one invited a person into his home, the home owner was expected to do all in their power to give them aid and even protection. A meal was understood to indicate a level of acceptance and close fellowship. The final word is "hear." This word meant more than absorbing the sound that is made, it meant understanding what was said, even accepting the instruction. One can listen to words and not understand their meaning, or understanding and rejecting its importance. This describes a sincere invitation to those people who are able to understand the significance of having a very close relationship with God via the Holy Spirit. "Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and eat with him, and he with me. The one who conquers, I will grant him to sit with me on my throne, as I also conquered and sat down with my Father on his throne. He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." - Rev 3:20-22 (ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment