Saturday, February 9, 2019

Better

There are various times in our lives that we think, everything has just changed and life will be so much better. Usually this has to do with freedom from some kind of bondage or impediment we feel. I recall three times like this in my life. The first was when I received my driver’s license, a second was when I gave my life to Jesus, and a third was when I married the woman who would become my best friend for life. With my driver’s license there also came the responsibility of being a good driver and, oh well, car payments and paying for fuel. But, I had a great deal more freedom to do the things I wanted to do, when I wanted to, and without troubling others for transportation. Another was when the one who has been my life partner for almost 40 years committed to spend her life with me. No longer did I need to wonder how other acquaintances would treat me or what they wanted from me, or for how long. Here was a person with whom I could share anything and everything at all times. We had a united purpose. Yes, there were also immense responsibilities, but all enjoyable when shared with her. However, the greatest was when I realized the invitation Jesus offered to me. This commitment had a great sense of freedom from all my failings and wrongdoings. To understand the trappings of sin and to find a way out was truly a relief. Again, this reward came with immense commitments on both sides. Not only did God adopt me as His child so I became Jesus’ brother, I received the indwelling Holy Spirit to help me become more sanctified to God. Not only was I cleansed once, but I was and am now continually cleansed, (1Jn. 1:7). I needed to act like God wants. No longer did the offers from the sinful world seem important. “For the law of the Spirit of life has set you[a] free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.” - Rom. 8:2 (ASV)

No comments:

Post a Comment