Thursday, June 20, 2019

Sheep

The biblical example used of sheep is crucial. Sheep have little ability to protect themselves from predators and are neither very hardy, nor very intelligent animals. In addition to this, they can become easily frightened and thus very attached to their keeper. These qualities can be very descriptive of people as well. Both sheep and people need a trustworthy guide for safety in life. Jesus used this example when describing Himself: “I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.” – Jn. 10:14-15 (ESV). The sheep will accept the shepherd whom they know and trust, then unquestionably follow him wherever he leads. Those people who follow Jesus as shepherd also have the indwelling Holy Spirit to help protect them from predators and guide them along the winding, twisting, up and down pathways of their unique individual spiritual journeys throughout physical life. Shepherd is also a good description of those within the new kingdom who strive to lead Christians along paths which are safe and healthy for both their physical and spiritual pathways.

No comments:

Post a Comment